Alec Baldwin isn’t in the clear over the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. In fact, Baldwin could be looking at a trial after a grand jury indicted him on Friday (Jan. 19) on an involuntary manslaughter charge, per AP.
As previously reported, Hutchins passed away in 2021 after Baldwin allegedly discharged a prop gun on the set of ‘Rust.’ The shooting took place during rehearsal on the New Mexico-based movie set. Director Joel Souza also sustained non-life-threatening wounds from the weapon.
New Analysis Shows Prop Gun’s Trigger Was Pulled Despite Alec Baldwin’s Denials
This past week, special prosecutors undertook the task of presenting a new analysis to the grand jury. Alec Baldwin has previously claimed he didn’t pull the trigger and only pulled back the hammer, but the further analysis says differently.
Lucien Haag of Forensic Science Services in Arizona led the new analysis of the gun. The experts used replacement parts for the new analysis.
Parts of the gun Baldwin allegedly fired previously broke during previous FBI testing. The FBI had initially concluded that the weapon could go off without pulling the trigger if enough force was applied to the uncocked hammer. For example, the gun could have gone off if dropped due to its design.
However, the new analysis says that’s not the case with Alec Baldwin.
“…Given the tests, findings and observations reported here, the trigger had to be pulled or depressed sufficiently to release the fully cocked or retracted hammer of the evidence revolver,” the new analysis stated.
The indictment comes after special prosecutors previously dismissed the same charge in April 2023. They decided based on information that the gun might’ve been modified before it ended up in Alec’s hands.
The film set’s weapon supervisor, Hannah Guiterrez-Reed, was also charged with involuntary manslaughter and evidence tampering. Her trial will reportedly begin next month. She has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Meanwhile, Alec Baldwin is also facing several civil lawsuits for compensation over the incident. However, judges recently put those on hold after the special prosecutors revealed their intent to present charges to the grand jury.
The husband of the deceased cinematographer allowed filming on ‘Rust’ to resume last year after being named an executive producer. AP reports that filming continued in Montana versus New Mexico.
RELATED: Chief Lighting Technician Sues More Than 20 Crew Members From The ‘Rust’ Movie Set After Fatal Shooting